Life In LC

Oct 4 – Local Cinema Watch

in Firehose/Latest/Music by

It’s apparently documentary week at the Bijou as three documentaries debut telling stories about the struggling newspaper industry, the fascination with celebrities and gossip and an LSD-fueled bus trip across the country.

Page One: Inside the New York Times:  Showing at (5:00) every night this week.  Documentary – 2011 – 88 Min – Rated R

Page One

Print journalism has been struggling for years, but could The New York Times, the number one newspaper in the world be in danger?  Page One chronicles the paper’s daily struggle with the notion of the internet surpassing print as our main news source as well as following the journalists who continue to tell stories and uncover necessary truths.  The film gains unprecedented access to the Times newsroom for a year following hardened, oldschool newspapermen as well as young journalists embracing new media.

Tabloid:  Showing at (5:30) and 7:40 all this week.  Documentary – 2010 – 87 Min – Rated R

Acclaimed documentarian Errol Morris (Gates of Heaven, The Thin Blue Line) tackles the world of tabloid headlines, love and obsession in this documentary about Joyce McKinney, a former “beauty queen” who infamously kidnapped the man she loved from a Mormon Missionary and held him as prisoner in an attempt to de-flower him from his religious ways.  Featuring interviews with McKinney herself, Morris presents a story that walks a fine line between fact and fiction examining our fascination with gossip and scandalous headlines.  Before the days of Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan, there was Joyce McKinney.

Magic Trip:  Showing at 7:00 all this week.  Documentary – 2011 – 107 Min – Rated R

In 1964, Ken Kesey, author of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” set off on a cross-country road trip to the New York World’s Fair to promote his second novel, “Sometimes a Great Notion.”  Accompanied by a group of friends called the “Merry Pranksters,” Kesey and the Pranksters intended to make a documentary about their trip using a 16 MM camera.  But the film was never finished and the footage remained unseen until now.  Directors Alex Gibney and Alison Ellwood worked with the Film Foundation, HISTORY and the UCLA Film Archives to restore more than 100 hours of film and audiotape and condensed it into this feature-length documentary.

At David Minor this week, two movies debut later in the week and they couldn’t be any more different.

Fast Five

Fast Five:  Starting Thursday, October 6 at 9:30.  Action – 2011 – 130 Min – Rated PG-13

When has the fifth movie in a franchise ever been good, let alone the best one in the series?  After the somewhat surprising success of Fast and Furious (AKA number 4 in the series), the fifth installment was quickly greenlight with both Vin Diesel and Paul Walker returning.  But the inclusion of another action star, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, gave a tired franchise the jolt of energy it needed.

Picking up where the last film ended, Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker), Mia Toretto (Jordana Brewster) and a couple friends have busted Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) out of prison and have escaped to South America.  Insert Luke Hobbs (Johnson) as a relentless federal agent intent on bringing in Toretto.  Stuck in Rio de Janeiro, Toretto and O’Conner look to pull off one last job in order to gain their freedom.  But standing in their way is not only Hobbs, but a corrupt local businessman who owns the cops and the town.  Fast Five is not only the best one in the series, but it was also one of the better movies of the summer.  Where other action movies this year tried to be dark and serious, Fast Five knows what it is, a fun action movie with plenty of car chases, pretty girls and beautiful scenery.

Submarine: Starting Thursday, October 6 at 7:45.  Comedy/Drama – 2010 – 97 Min – Rated R

Submarine

Oliver Tate is struggling with problems many fifteen-year-olds have; being popular in school, handling a female crush and dealing with parents constantly bickering.  Tate’s two goals are to save his parents’ marriage and lose his virginity before his next birthday.  Using unorthodox methods he picked up watching old Melville films, he monitors his parents’ sex life by charting the dimmer switch in their bedroom and forges suggestive love letters from his mom to dad to keep them interested in one another.  Meanwhile, Oliver attempts to woo his classmate, Jordana, a self-professed pyromaniac who is constantly unpredictable.  Produced by Ben Stiller, this dry, British comedy debuted at The Toronto International Film Festival last year to rave reviews.

Still Playing at David Minor:

Bridesmaids: Showing at 7:15 on Tuesday and Wednesday.  At 5:30 and 9:30 Thursday-Sunday.

Everything Must Go: Showing at 5:20 on Tuesday and Wednesday.  At 7:45 on Thursday-Sunday.

Win Win: Final showings at 5:20 on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Hanna: Showing at 9:35 on Tuesday and Wednesday.  At 5:30 on Thursday-Sunday.

X-Men First Class: Final showing at 7:15 on Wednesday, October 5.

Latest from Firehose

Go to Top