October 25 – Morning Headlines

//
As we come into election season...
As we come into election season...

Headlines

 

  • Piercy says she’ll seek a third term as mayor
    Katherine “Kitty” Piercy today will announce that she will seek re-election for a third term as Eugene’s mayor. Piercy said she will formally announce her candidacy at 10 a.m. in the Broadway Commerce Center, the former Centre Court building at B…
  • Affidavit depicts kidnapping
    Six suspects who allegedly assaulted and kidnapped a 35-year-old Marcola man over three days earlier this month did so because some of them thought he had stolen marijuana they had been growing along the Marcola River, according to a detective’s swor…
  • City exempts ‘Occupy’ protests from ban through Dec.
     The Eugene City Council voted Monday to exempt the Occupy Eugene protests from a city ban against camping in municipal parks.
  • Eugene HIV/AIDS non-profit burglarized just before largest fundraiser of the year
    A Lane County non-profit dedicated to preventing HIV and helping people with AIDS is looking for help now, after burglars trashed and stole from two of its offices in Eugene.
  • Death sentence overturned in 1993 Springfield murder
    A Portland judge has overturned Jeffrey Dale Tiner’s May 2000 death sentence for the 1993 murder of Springfield resident James Salmu, saying Tiner wasn’t given a proper defense. Tiner’s conviction for aggravated murder in the case still stands. B…
  • Man charged with kidnapping
    Police charged a man with kidnap and sexual abuse Sunday after officers were called to an east Springfield residence on a report of a fight. James Anthony Hazlett, 47, no permanent address, was booked into the Lane County on charges of …
  • Eugene man files for New Hampshire GOP presidential primary
    He ran for and lost races for school board, Lane County Commissioner and a state office. Now Mark Callahan of Eugene is running for the White House
  • AAA: Average price of gasoline in Oregon $3.79
    The AAA auto club reports the average price of a gallon gasoline in Oregon is $3.79.
  • State, county unemployment rates level
    The unemployment rate in Lane County remained absolutely flat in September at 9.6. It was exactly the same as the state rate in September, 9.6 percent. It’s a pretty dull story, labor economist Brian Rooney said. “It’s been this way for a while. …
  • West Eugene EmX Open House Meetings this Week
    Looking for more information on Lane Transit District’s proposed West Eugene EmX expansion project?   You can learn more Monday and Tuesday during two open houses.   On Monday, you can stop by the Eugene Public Library from 10:30 a.m….
  • Is Eugene the angriest U.S. city?
    Is Eugene the angriest city in America? Statistically, you could make that claim. But then, anger is a tough emotion to measure. Of course, that didn’t prevent Newsweek’s The Daily Beast website recently from listing America’s 10 Angriest Cities,…
  • Cliff Harris Suspended…Again
    University of Oregon football player Cliff Harris has been cited … again. Around 2:40 p.m. Monday, Eugene Police say they pulled over the Duck cornerback, who was driving a gray convertible Mustang, because he wasn’t wearing his seat …
  • Oregon men’s tennis knocked out of ITA Northwest Regional in Seattle
    The Oregon men’s tennis team was eliminated from the ITA Northwest Regional tournament in Seattle on Monday. Two duos from the Ducks made the quarterfinals in the doubles bracket while sophomore Alex Rovello advanced to the final eight in the main si…

Tim Chuey Weather:

A change to colder temperatures late at night and early in the AM will be producing some patchy fog, frost, and possible freezing fog. Drive carefully and watch out for black ice.

High: 55
Low: 30
Rain: None

Advisories: A FROST ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM UNTIL 9 AM  TODAY FOR THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL COAST RANGE OF OREGON, THE WESTERN COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE, AND THE I-5 CORRIDOR FROM PORTLAND SOUTH THROUGH EUGENE.

The jet stream shows a trough of low pressure (“U” shape on yellow line) moving through Oregon and it will be followed by a short lived area of high pressure (“Arch” shape on yellow line). A large upper level low will take over late in the week we’ll see one of many frontal systems will bring the chance of rain to the Pacific Northwest.

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Partly cloudy with patchy fog and possible frost and freezing fog early this AM, mostly sunny this afternoon, mostly clear tonight, patchy fog and frost with possible freezing fog again late at night and early Wednesday AM, mostly sunny in the afternoon, partly cloudy and not as cold Wednesday night, then mostly cloudy Thursday and Thursday night highs 58-55 warming to near 60 Thursday lows 30-43. Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Friday, a (40%) chance of rain Friday night, a (40%) chance of showers Saturday, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday night, a mix of clouds and sun Sunday, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Sunday night, then a mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of showers Monday highs 62-59 lows near 46. (seasonal averages high 60 low 40)

Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com

Previous Story

Salpino

Next Story

Local Area Businesses Get Local Lift

Latest from Firehose

0 $0.00