October 23 – Morning Headlines
- Eugene passes bag ban, coal train resolution
Eugene is now the third Oregon city, after Portland and Corvallis to call for a ban on plastic bags in stores and markets.
- Robinson sues over DeFazio billboards
Fourth District Republican candidate Art Robinson has filed a civil suit against Democratic incumbent Peter DeFazio alleging that several billboards recently put up in several communities around the district mislead voters and violate federal election …
- Trailer full of bikes for kid safety program stolen
A trailer with a safety education program’s fleet of bicycles inside disappeared from a west Eugene school over the weekend.
- Police: Marine, 65, takes a punch – then takes down suspect
A man who started throwing punches in the bottle return area at a grocery store took a swing at the wrong 65-year-old man Sunday night
- Funnel cloud confirmed in Springfield Monday afternoon
Unusually strong wind gusts ripped through a Springfield neighborhood on Monday afternoon. The National Weather Service has confirmed the storm activity as a funnel cloud.
- Detective: Suspect said he set fire to cover up killing
The suspect accused of murdering a man and then setting a house on fire pleaded not guilty Monday, but court documents suggest he told investigators a different story.
- Fifth attorney joins write-in race for Lane County Circuit Court
Four days after Lane County voters began receiving their vote-by-mail general election ballots, a fifth local attorney has decided to be a write-in candidate for Position 7 on the Lane County Circuit Court bench. George Derr announced his decision to r…
- Measure redirects corporate ‘kicker’ to schools
Taking aim at the less politically popular portion of Oregon’s two-pronged “kicker” law, Measure 85 would amend the state Constitution to redirect corporate tax rebate dollars to Oregon’s K-12 public schools. Even the measure’s backers don’t…
Keep Current: - EDN Headline News, Sports and Weather
Tim Chuey Weather:
More showers, thunderstorms, and small hail for your Tuesday and again Wednesday.
Forecast: showers w/chance of hail
This is Winter Weather Safety and Awareness Week and the National Weather Service Forecast Office in Portland website has tips for you to keep safe during the upcoming Winter season. Just go to: WINTER AWARENESS WEEK.
An upper level trough of low pressure (the shaded ”U” shape on the jet stream) slowly moving into the Pacific Northwest producing the chance of rain and thunderstorms with small hail while lowering mountain snow levels down to the passes where some snow has been falling. A frontal system moved through Monday afternoon increasing the chances for showers and thunderstorms. (I had a hail storm over my neighborhood at 2:15 PM that lasted about 20 minutes dumping enough hail to whiten the street and the roofs. Weak high pressure will dry us out a bit Thursday, but low pressure returns for more rain Friday through the weekend.
Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Cloudy with a good (50%) chance of scattered showers and a slight (20%) chance of scattered thunderstorms and small hail today (under 0.10 in. of rain possible, more in storms), mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of scattered showers with small hail possible at night (0.15 in. of rain possible), cloudy with a good (50%) chance of showers and a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms Wednesday afternoon (under 0.10 in. of rain possible) and evening, mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of showers Wednesday night (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), a mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of showers Thursday, partly cloudy in the evening, then just mostly cloudy Thursday night highs 52-54 lows 39-35. Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Friday, a (40%) chance of showers Friday night, a good (50%) chance of showers Saturday, cloudy with a good (50%) chance of showers Saturday night, then rain Sunday through Monday highs 54-58 lows near 40. (seasonal averages high 61 low 40)
- Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg
- Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend
- Forecast for the Cascades of Lane County
Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.
Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com