Pofta Buna!: Bacon and Sweet Corn Chowder
The first time I made this soup it was a total accident. We had some random ingredients in our fridge and I had to come up with something to feed my hungry husband. The results were so delicious that I have begun to make it regularly ever since. It’s full of saturated fats and very hearty. It works great as leftovers, too.
• 6-8 slices of nitrate free, organic bacon, chopped
• 1 large sweet onion, thinly chopped
• 4 medium red or Yukon gold potatoes, finely chopped
• About 2 quarts of homemade chicken broth
• 2 cups of organic, preferably raw, whole milk
• 1 cup of organic, preferably raw, heavy cream
• 1/2 cup raw cheddar, optional
• 2 cups sweet corn, fresh or frozen
• 2-3 tsp of sea salt
• 2-3 tsp of black crushed pepper
• 1 tsp turmeric
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 hungry people
When you begin making this soup you may add more or less of some of the ingredients. It really does depend on your taste buds and the flavors that you and your family enjoy. You might want a more brothy, less creamy consistency; you might want more or less bacon. This recipe gives you a framework to work with. Feel free to taste the soup while it is simmering and add more or less broth, cream, cheese, or bacon.
1. Slice the bacon into small pieces.
2. Dice the onions.
3. Dice the potatoes…
4. In the pan in which you intend to cook the soup, fry the chopped bacon. When at the desired crispyness, remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the pot.
5. Throw the onions in the bacon fat and cook them until they are translucent.
6. Add the salt, pepper, and turmeric.
7. Add the homemade chicken broth and potatoes.
This is where I stopped taking pictures of the rest of the steps. I got too distracted tasting the soup and munching on bacon bits. So sorry!
8. Let it simmer for twenty minutes or until potatoes are cooked all the way through.
9. Right before the potatoes reach perfect done-ness, add the milk, cream, corn, bacon, and cheese.
10. Let it simmer for ten minutes.
11. Pofta Buna!