After late night and early morning fog and possible freezing fog look for the chance of rain to increase as the weekend finishes and the new workweek begins.

_______________

 

No takers for this week’s question. Here is my weekly weather quiz question for the last time. How do scientists forecast volcanic eruptions? Here is the correct answer. Scientists use a wide variety of techniques to monitor volcanoes, including seismographic detection of the earthquakes and tremor that almost always precede eruptions, precise measurements of ground deformation that often accompanies the rise of magma, changes in volcanic gas emissions, and changes in gravity and magnetic fields. Although not diagnostic individually, these techniques, when used in combination at well-monitored volcanoes, have resulted in successful predictions. At Pinatubo volcano (Philippines) in 1991, a successful forecast saved thousands of lives. For more on predicting volcanic eruptions go to The Global Vulcanism Program website. The USGS website also discusses these monitoring techniques in more detail. I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you next Monday. Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.

 

________________

 

A trough of low pressure (Shaded “U” shaped area with blue arrows) has moved over us sending waves of moisture our way. Today has been the “calm before the storm” so-to-speak because we are on the backside of the trough and a high pressure ridge (Shaded  ”Arch” shape) will take over for just a short time. The rain returns Sunday as a frontal system approaches. A stronger frontal system will push through the Pacific Northwest early next week increasing the rain chances again.

 

________________

 

Advisories: A HIGH WIND WATCH IS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT FOR THE NORTH OREGON COAST AND NEAR THE BEACHES AND HEADLANDS OF THE CENTRAL OREGON COAST.

________________

 

Here is your College Football Weather Forecast for today’s game:

Ducks vs. California at Berkeley: Kickoff 7:30 PM Clear 51 cooling to 48 by the end of the game, wind-NW 5 mph.

 

________________

 

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy with patchy fog and freezing fog late tonight and Sunday AM, a slight (20%) chance of AM rain, rain (under 0.10 in. of rain possible) likely (60%) Sunday afternoon (Veterans Day), rain Sunday night (0.25 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with AM rain likely (60%), scattered showers Monday afternoon (0.20 in. of rain possible) (Veterans Day Federal Holiday) and Monday night, a good (50%) chance of showers Tuesday, then mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of  showers Tuesday night lows 35-45 cooking to near 40 Tuesday night highs 48-53. Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Wednesday and Wednesday night, a (40%) chance of showers Thursday and Thursday night, a good (50%) chance of showers Friday and Friday night, then mostly cloudy with rain likely (70%) Saturday highs near 52 lows 37-43. (seasonal averages high 54 low 38)

_______________

 

Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg: Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain and snow showers this evening, areas patchy fog late tonight and Sunday AM, cloudy with a (30%) chance of rain (under 0.10 in. of rain possible) Sunday afternoon (Veterans Day), rain Sunday night (0.20 in. of rain possible) and Monday (0.20 in. of rain possible), cloudy with evening showers likely (60%), a good (50%) chance of showers late Monday night through Tuesday night lows 34-45 highs 49-55. Patchy AM fog, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Wednesday, a slight (20%) chance of rain Wednesday night, patchy AM fog, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Thursday through Friday, then cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Friday night and a good (50%) chance of rain Saturday highs 57-53 lows 42-44. (seasonal averages high 55 low 41)

 

_________________

Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend: Mostly cloudy  tonight, cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of AM coastal rain with rain likely (60%) Sunday afternoon (Veterans Day) while a (30%) chance of rain inland (0.15 in. of rain possible), rain Sunday night (0.35 in. of rain possible) and breezy (wind: S 15-20 mph rising to 20-30 mph late in the evening with gusts to 40 mph late evening and late night, rain (0.30 in. of rain possible) and breezy (wind: S 20-30 mph at the shore and S 15-20 mph inland with gusts to 40 mph) Monday (Veterans Day Federal Holiday), cloudy with evening showers likely (60%) then a good (50%) chance of showers late Monday night, mostly cloudy with rain likely (60%) Tuesday AM, then a good (50%) chance of showers Tuesday afternoon and Tuesday night lows 39-48 highs 52-56. Patchy AM fog, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of rain Wednesday and Wednesday night, patchy AM fog, mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Thursday afternoon and Thursday night, cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Friday, then mostly cloudy with rain likely (60%) Friday night and Saturday highs 57-53 lows 48-44 warming to 48 Thursday night. (seasonal averages high 56 low 44)

_______________

 

Forecast for the Cascades of Lane County: Partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of isolated snow showers this evening, mostly cloudy with Sunday AM (Veterans Day), cloudy with a (40%) chance of snow in the afternoon, rain and snow Sunday night (0.25 in. of rain possible, 1-3 in. of snow possible), AM rain and snow, showers (in. of rain possible) and breezy (wind: SW 15-25 mph) Monday afternoon (Veterans Day Federal Holiday), showers likely (60%) Monday night, rain and snow showers likely (60%) Tuesday, then mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain and snow showers Tuesday night snow level at the surface tonight, free air freezing level at the surface Sunday AM, snow level 5,000 ft. Sunday night, 6,000 ft. Monday, then 6,500 ft. Monday night, 6,000 ft. Tuesday, then 5,000 ft.Tuesday night lows 23-30 highs 35-40. Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of rain and snow showers Wednesday and Wednesday night, a (40%) chance of rain Thursday, a good (50%) chance of rain and snow Thursday night and Friday, cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain and snow Friday night, then mostly cloudy with rain and snow likely (60%) and breezy Saturday snow level 5,500 ft. Wednesday, 6,000 ft. Wednesday night, 5,500 ft. Thursday and Thursday night, 5,000 ft. Friday, 5,500 ft. Friday night, then 5,000 ft. Saturday highs near 42 lows 27-32.

________________

 

**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

 

________________

 

Get your local Eugene-Springfield news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com

 

______________

For more click to continue on to http://timchueyweather4u.com/blog

Default thumbnail
Previous Story

Three injured in Hwy 34 crash, 2-year-old escapes unharmed

Next Story

Ducks Pull Out Victory, 83-73, In Up and Down Game

Latest from Headline Feed