I’m looking for another day with a mix of clouds and sun today before the clouds and rain return Thursday.

_______________

 

Here is my new weekly weather quiz question. Here it is. What is “AFOS” and why is it being replaced by “AWIPS?” Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.

 

________________

 

An upper level ridge of high pressure (Shaded “Arch” shape) is flattening, losing its hump, and is allowing a sub tropical moisture flow from near Hawaii (called the “Pineapple Express”) to move through the Pacific Northwest. The warm front that moved through and stalled North of us helping to funnel that warm moist air our way has pushed North and dissipated.  An upper level trough of low pressure (Shaded “U” shape) is pushing to position itself along the coast. A cold front will approach the Pacific Northwest increasing the chances for rain.

 

 

________________

 

Advisories: NONE AT THIS TIME.

 

________________

 

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Cloudy this AM, a mix of clouds and sun this afternoon, mostly cloudy tonight, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Thursday afternoon, rain likely (70%) at night, cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Friday, then a slight (20%) chance of showers Friday night highs 65-59 lows near 46. Cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday, a (40%) chance of showers at night, a (30%) chance of rain Sunday, a slight (20%) chance of rain Sunday night, a mix of clouds and sun Monday, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Monday night, then a good (50%) chance of rain Tuesday highs 58-54 lows near 40. (seasonal averages high 56 low 37)

________________

Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg: Mostly cloudy with patchy fog this AM, mostly cloudy this afternoon, partly cloudy tonight, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of rain Thursday night, a (40%) chance of showers Friday, then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Friday night highs 70-64 lows 43-46 cooling to 43 Friday night . Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Saturday, a (30%) chance of rain Saturday night and Sunday, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Sunday night, just mostly cloudy Monday, then mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Monday night and Tuesday highs 65-57 warming to near 62 Monday and Tuesday lows 38-40. (seasonal averages high 58 low 39)

 

_________________

 

Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend: Patchy AM fog, mostly cloudy this afternoon, partly cloudy this evening, mostly cloudy tonight, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Thursday afternoon, cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain at night, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Friday and Friday night highs 58-55 lows 44-47 cooling to 43 Friday night. Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of rain Saturday through Sunday, a slight (20%) chance of rain Monday, then mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of rain Monday night and a (40%) chance of rain Tuesday highs 55-50 warming to 55 Tuesday lows near 42. (seasonal averages high 54 low 41)

________________

 

Forecast for the Cascades of Lane County: Mostly cloudy his AM, a mix of clouds and sun this afternoon, partly cloudy tonight, a mix of clouds and sun Thursday AM, mostly cloudy in the afternoon, cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Thursday night, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Friday, then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Friday night free air freezing level 8,000 ft. today, 9,000 ft. tonight, 10,000 ft. Thursday, snow level 7,500 ft. Thursday night, 6,500 ft. Friday, then 6,000 ft. Friday night highs 56-45 lows 40-33. Cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain and snow showers Saturday, a good (50%) chance of rain and snow showers Saturday night, mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain and snow Sunday, a slight (20%) chance of rain and snow Sunday night and Monday, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain and snow Monday, a (40%) chance of rain and snow Monday night, then mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of ran Tuesday snow level  5,500 ft. Saturday, 5,000 ft. Saturday night, 4,000 ft.  Sunday through Monday, then 5,500 ft. Monday night and Tuesday highs 48-43 lows 29-32.

 

 

________________

 

**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

 

________________

 

Get your local Eugene-Springfield news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com.

 

________________

Previous Story

Eleven Strikeouts, Ryon Healy Lead No. 16 Ducks Past Texas State

Next Story

Oregon Hopes To Rebound in Pac-12 Tournament

Latest from Headline Feed

0 $0.00