Emergency medical personnel responded to Stahlbush Island Farms Thursday afternoon after one employee was briefly sickened by an ammonia leak.
“We have a lady who’s coughing,” said Karla Chambers, co-owner of the business just east of Corvallis.
She described the leak as minor and said no one else had been affected.
“We do ammonia drills,” Chambers said. “We have registered EMTs on site.”
Stahlbush Island Farms uses ammonia as part of the packaging process for frozen foods. The company operates a food processing plant for preparing and packaging fruits and vegetables.
The Corvallis Fire Department sent an ambulance, fire engine and battalion chief to the farm a little at 3:25 p.m. to investigate the leak and to tend to a worker who fainted after being exposed to ammonia.
By about 3:50 p.m., Chambers reported that workers had isolated the source of the leak and fixed the problem.
“It was a safety release valve that was stuck,” Chambers said. “There was no liquid ammonia that was released. It was just fumes.”
Chambers said the employee who was exposed to the fumes declined to be taken to the hospital.
Fire department personnel returned to the station at 4:30 p.m.