Home a Total Loss After Fire

DORENA, Ore. — A fast-moving fire destroyed a Lane County man’s home, and now some residents are asking why firefighters didn’t respond.

Neighbors say the Red Cross is helping the Dorena man after his house burned to the ground Saturday evening. They say the man turned down medical help from first responders even though he suffered burns to his face.

The question now is, why did medics respond but not firefighters? South Lane County Fire and Rescue says the area, the 30000 block of Row River Road, is outside the fire district. Residents there don’t pay taxes, which include fire protection.

The division chief says all areas in the state are covered by ambulance, but not all include fire coverage.

“It’s not unique to South Lane County Fire and Rescue. There are fire districts to the northeast and west of Lane County that have gaps in fire protection before they meet another fire protection district or another community or city,” says Joe Raade of South Lane County Fire and Rescue.

The house is a total loss. Neighbors say the man suffered burns while trying to rescue his dog.

Neighbors say when the fire broke out, they all pitched in to try and fight the fire with garden hoses but they weren’t successful. Neighbors believe the fire may have started from a burning wood stove.

Default thumbnail
Previous Story

Web Extra: Beaver Women def. UA, 73-48

Default thumbnail
Next Story

Ducks Win Peg Barnard Invitational

Latest from Headline Feed