Christmas is a little over a month away and eager shoppers are already online and walking through brick-and-mortar stores looking for the perfect present for their children, grand children and others. Each year I have shown you a list of the top 10 worst toys available this season. If you carefully check this list you’ll at least know what you don’t want to by for the special child or children in your life.
W.A.T.C.H. (World Against Toys Causing Harm) publishes their list of the 10 worst toys that can be dangerous enough to cause harm to the children who would receive them. They have a team that puts the toys to the safety test. Here is that list in its entirety along with their description of each toy and what is wrong with them.
1) “NICKELODEON NELLA PRINCESS KNIGHT PILLOW PETS SLEEPTIME LITES”– Price $19.99- By CJ Products, Inc.; Available at Target, Target.com, Express.Google.com, Age Recommendation “0+”, Warnings: “Adult note: Product is not intended for use in crib. Do not leave infant unattended with product; ” Warning: Battery acid leakage can cause personal injury….” ; And other cautions/warnings on package. HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR INGESTION AND BATTERY-RELATED INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! These soft, plush “Pillow Pets Sleeptime Lites” project colorful night-sky images to make “night-time fun. ” Marketed for infants as a nightlight for baby’s room, remarkably the package cautions that the product is “not intended” for use in a crib. Bella is adorned with small, felt-like flower and heart-tag accessories which, if removed, present possible ingestion hazards. Additionally, the manufacturer identifies a “battery acid leakage” hazard.
2) “Nerf Vortex VTX Praxis Blaster”– Price $34.99- By Hasbro; Nerf.com; Available at Target, Target.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Ebay.com, Bonanza.com; Age Recommendation “8+”, Warnings: “CAUTION: Do not aim at eyes or face”; WARNING CHOKING HAZARD…. (Packaging): Battery acid leakage can cause personal injury….”; And other cautions/warnings on package. HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR EYE INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! Children as young as eight-years-old are invited to load the supplied ammunition and “fire 10 discs in a row with pump action blasting!” The launch-force of the discs presents the potential foray and facial injuries.
3) “MARVEL BLACK PANTHER SLASH CLAW”– Price $9.99- By Hasbro; Available at Target, Target.com, Kohls, Kohls.com, Walmart, Walmart.com, Amazon.com, Hasbrotoyshop.com Age Recommendation “5+”, Warnings: “CAUTION: Do not hit or swing at people or animals. Use away from breakable objects “; WARNING CHOKING HAZARD….” HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR EYE AND FACIAL INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! These rigid plastic claws, based on a popular comic book and movie character, are sold to five-year-olds to “slash” like the Black Panther, while simultaneously advising not to “hit or swing at people…. ”
4) “POWER RANGERS SUPER NINJA STEEL SUPERSTAR BLADE”– Price $29.99- By Bandai America Incorporated.; Available at Target, Target.com, Ebay.com, Walmart.com, Amazon.com, Bonanza.com, Express Google.com, Age Recommendation “4+”, Warnings: “CAUTION: Spring-loaded. Do not aim at eyes or face. ” Do not 1) Aim toy at anyone, 2) Hit anyone with toy, swing at anyone….” And other cautions on package insert. W.A.T.C.H. OUT! Young children are encouraged to “power up” with this “Super Ninja Steel” spring-loaded plastic blade, with the potential to cause facial and other impact injuries.
5) “CABBAGE PATCH KIDS DANCE TIME DOLL “– Price $14.99- By Wicked Cool Toys LLC.; Available at Target, Target.com, CabbagePatchKids.com, Bonanza.com, Blinq.com, Age Recommendation “2+”, Warnings: None; HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR CHOKING INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! “Dance Time Cabbage Patch Kids ” wear brightly colored tutus. Incredibly, even though the dolls are marketed for oral-age children, they are sold with a “removable” headband, which can be ingested.
6) “ZOO JAMZ XYLOPHONE”– Price $14.96- By Vtech Electronics North America LLC.; Available at Walmart, Walmart.com, Amazon.com, Vtechkids.com, Target, Target.com, Buybuybaby.com, Bedbathandbeyond.com, Zulily.com, Age Recommendation “1.5 – 4 years”, Warnings: None. HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR INGESTION AND CHOKING INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! This multi-colored, caterpillar-themed instrument is sold for babies as young as 1.5 years old. The manufacturer provides no warning regarding the slender, rigid, approximately 9-inch-long handle, which can potentially be mouthed and occlude a child’s airway.
7) “NICI WONDERLAND DOLL: MINICLARA THE BALLERINA”– Price $24.99- By NICI.; Available at Amazon.com, Neat-oh.com, Walmart.com, Barnes and Noble.com, Henry Bear’s Park, Age Recommendation “2+”, Warnings: None. HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR CHOKING INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! The Miniclara Ballerina, marketed for oral-age children as young as 2 years sold, is sold with her friend “little kitten” as an accessory. The soft, plush kitten, however, can detach, posing the potential for choking if ingested.
8) “STOMP ROCKET ULTRA ROCKET”– Price $19.99- By D& L Company; Available at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Target.com, Stomprocket.com, Magic Beans, Age Recommendation “Ages 6 and up”, Warnings: ” Warning: To prevent serious eye or face injuries:… Do not aim at your eyes or face…Clear launch site…before stomping….” , and other warnings/cautions on package, package insert, and launch stand. HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR EYE, FACE, AND OTHER IMPACT INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! 6-year-old children are advised to Run. Jump. Stomp! in order to launch a rocket “up to 200 FEET!” Many warnings appear on the packaging package inset, in an effort to “prevent serious eye or face injuries…”
9) “CUTTING FRUIT”– Price $39.99- By Kid O Toys.; Available at Walmart.com, Ebay.com, Magic Beans, Mbeans.com, Liltulips.com, niniandlolli.com, Buyforbabies.com, Giftuniversal.com, Age Recommendation “2+”, Warnings: “Caution! Remove the packing material before giving the toy to your child” ; HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR PUNCTURE AND BLUNT FORCE INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! The magnetic apple, pear, and orange are sold with a “slicing knife” made of hard plastic. The knife can potentially cause puncture wounds and other blunt trauma injuries.
10) “CHIEN A PROMENER PULL ALONG DOG”– Price $14.99- By Janod; Juratoys.; Available at Amazon.com, Magic Beans, Mbeans.com, Age Recommendation “12-36m”, Warnings: None. HAZARD: POTENTIAL FOR ENTANGLEMENT AND STRANGULATION INJURIES! W.A.T.C.H. OUT! Despite the industry’s standard requiring strings on playpen and crib toys to be less than 12 inches in length, manufacturers are still permitted it market “pull toys” such as “Pull Along Dog” with a chord measuring approximately 19 inches. No warnings are provided.
These are only the top ten dangerous toys. Be very careful when purchasing Christmas toys for children and make very sure that they are age appropriate and safe for a child to enjoy.
Let me know what you would like me to talk about or explain. You can email me at: [email protected].