________________

Sorry, but no winner again this week.

________________

Here is my weekly weather quiz question for the last time.  What is the difference between a warm front and a cold front? Here is the answer. A warm front is defined as the transition zone where a warm air mass is replacing a cold air mass. Warm fronts generally move from southwest to northeast and the air behind a warm front is warmer and more moist than the air ahead of it. When a warm front passes through, the air becomes noticeably warmer and more humid than it was before. A cold front is defined as the transition zone where a cold air mass is replacing a warmer air mass. Cold fronts generally move from northwest to southeast. The air behind a cold front is noticeably colder and drier than the air ahead of it. When a cold front passes through, temperatures can drop more than 15 degrees within the first hour. I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you next monday. Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count.

________________

Advisories: A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT TONIGHT ABOVE 2,000 FT. FOR THE COAST RANGE OF NORTHWEST OREGON. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT ABOVE 2,000 FT. UNTIL MIDNIGHT TONIGHT FOR THE NORTH OREGON CASCADE FOOTHILLS. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTH OREGON CASCADES, NOT INCLUDING THE CASCADES OF LANE COUNTY. A HIGH SURF ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT TONIGHT FOR THE NORTH AND CENTRAL OREGON COAST. A HIGH SURF ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM SUNDAY FOR THE SOUTH CENTRAL AND SOUTH OREGON COAST.

________________

high pressure ridge (“Arch” shape on yellow line) pulled away from us and a trough of low pressure (“U” shape on the yellow line) has taken over returning the wet weather pattern.  A frontal system moved through scattering light rain and drizzle over the Pacific Northwest. There will be even more frontal systems (position shown is Tuesday) that will keep the showers around into next week.

_________________

Here are your detailed forecasts.**

________________

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy with showers likely (60%) this evening, a (40%) chance of showers (0.25 in. of rain possible) late tonight, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%)  chance of showers Sunday AM, a mix of clouds and sun in the afternoon (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Sunday evening, rain likely (60%) late Sunday night (0.10 in. of rain possible), rain (0.30 in. of rain possible) Monday (Presidents’ Day), cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Monday night (0.10 in of rain possible), rain likely (60%) Tuesday, then mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Tuesday night lows 30-44 highs 45-52. Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Wednesday, a (40%) chance of showers Wednesday night and Thursday, a slight (20%) chance of showers Thursday night, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Friday, cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Friday night, then mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Saturday highs 54-48 lows 42-37. (seasonal averages high 52 low 35)

_______________

Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg: Mostly cloudy with rain and snow showers this evening, a good (50%) chance of rain and snow showers late at night (snow level 2,000 ft. falling to 1,500 ft. late, under 0.10 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Sunday AM, mostly cloudy Sunday afternoon, a good (50%) chance of rain Sunday evening, rain likely (60%) Sunday night (snow level 3,500 ft., under 0.10 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with rain (0.15 in. of rain possible) Monday (Presidents’ Day), cloudy with rain likely (60%) in the evening, then a (40%) chance of showers (0.10 in. of rain possible) late Monday night through Tuesday, then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Tuesday  night lows 35-45 highs 50-58. Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Wednesday and Wednesday night,  a slight (20%) chance of showers Thursday, just mostly cloudy and colder Thursday night, a slight (20%) chance of rain Friday, then mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Friday night and Saturday highs 59-50 lows 40-30 warming to near 40 Friday night. (seasonal averages high 54 low 37)

________________

Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend: Mostly cloudy with scattered coastal showers tonight and scattered evening showers inland with a (40%) chance of rain and snow showers inland late tonight (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of  coastal showers Sunday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon, a (40%) chance of evening rain with rain (0.10 in. of rain possible) likely (60%) late Sunday night, rain (0.30 in. of rain possible) Monday (Presidents’ Day), cloudy with rain likely (60%) in the evening, a good (50%) chance of showers (0.15 in. of rain possible) late Monday night, mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of showers Tuesday, then a slight (20%) chance of showers Tuesday night lows 35-45 highs 49-54. Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Wednesday and Wednesday night, a slight (20%) chance of showers Thursday, mostly cloudy and colder Thursday night,  a slight (20%) chance of rain Friday, then mostly cloudy rain likely (60%) Friday and Friday night highs 56-50 lows near 44. (seasonal averages high 53 low 40).

_________________

Forecast for the Cascades of Lane County: Mostly cloudy with snow showers and colder (2-5 in. of snow possible), snow showers (1-4 in. of snow possible) tonight, a good (50%) chance of snow showers Sunday AM, a mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of snow showers in the afternoon, a good (50%) chance of rain and snow in the evening, rain and snow likely late Sunday night, rain and snow Monday (Presidents’ Day), a good (50%) chance of rain and snow Monday night, rain likely (60%) Tuesday, then mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Tuesday night snow level at the surface tonight and Sunday, 2,500 ft. Sunday night, 3,500 ft. Monday, 4,500 ft. Monday night, 6,000 ft. Tuesday, then 6,500 ft. Tuesday night lows 18-32 highs 32-40. Mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Wednesday, a (40%) chance of showers Wednesday night, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Thursday, a slight (20%) chance of showers Thursday night,  a slight (20%) of rain Friday, a good (50%) chance of showers Friday night, then mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain and snow Saturday snow level 6,000 ft. Wednesday and Wednesday night, 5,500 ft. Thursday and Thursday night, 6,500 ft. Friday, 6,500 ft. Friday night, 4,000 ft. Saturday highs 40-36 lows 32-25 warming to near 30 Friday night.

________________

**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

________________

Get your local Eugene-Springfield news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com.

________________

 

For more click to continue on to http://timchueyweather4u.com/blog