February 23 – Morning Headlines

//
Yes, Eugene has a bomb squad. (img kval.com)

Headlines

Yes, Eugene has a bomb squad - seen here removing a suspicious object from a storage unit. (img kval.com)
  • Bomb squad called to storage units
    The bomb squad removed a suspicious object from a storage unit office after someone who bought an abandoned unit found the object and dropped it off at the front counter.
  • Fire displaces 2 apartment residents
    Investigators worked Wednesday afternoon to try to determine the cause of a fire that displaced two residents of an apartment in west Eugene’s Trainsong neighborhood. Firefighters were called to the Maple Manor apartments at 2555 Roosevelt Blvd. at 1…
  • Eugene library hours cut in budget
    Dramatically reduced hours at Eugene’s two branch libraries. A new way to provide animal control services. Eliminating vacant jobs and laying off some employees. These are among the ways Eugene City Manager Jon Ruiz proposes to rein in city spending …
  • Springfield man wins big on ‘Wheel of Fortune’
    It was no secret that Braden Pelky went to Los Angeles to film “Wheel of Fortune” back in January. What was a surprise was how he did on the show, and his family learned just that as they watched his episode air Wednesday night.
  • Eugene Chef Nominated for National Award
    The James Beard Awards are kind of like the Oscars for the restaurant world. One of Eugene’s own is nominated for the Best Chef Northwest Award. Brendan Mahaney, head chef at Belly Restaurant  on East 5th Avenue, is one of 11 Oregon semi-finalis…

Tim Chuey Weather:

Your Thursday will be dry with lots of sunshine, but sorry it won’t last long.

High: 54
Low: 28
Rain: Sun today.

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy with patchy fog this AM, a mix of clouds and sun in the afternoon, partly cloudy this evening, mostly cloudy with patchy fog late tonight, partly cloudy with patchy fog Friday AM, becoming mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Friday afternoon (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), then rain (0,25 in. of rain possible) Friday night, showers Saturday, then showers likely (60%) Saturday night highs 50-54 cooling to 48 Saturday lows 37-28. Mostly cloudy with showers likely (60%) Sunday, a good (50%) chance of showers Sunday night, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Monday, a (40%) chance of rain Monday night, rain likely (60%) Tuesday and Tuesday night, then mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of showers Wednesday (snow level 1,000 ft.) highs 43-45 lows 25-32. (seasonal averages high 52 low 35)

Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com

Kelly Asay is an entrepreneur, software developer and performing musician. As the publisher of Eugene Daily News, Asay is continually searching, finding and promoting the best unknown journalists, photographers and inspirational people from all over Lane County.

Previous Story

Springfield man wins big on ‘Wheel of Fortune’

Next Story

Family increases reward for “cold case” murder

Latest from Firehose