_______________

Sorry, but nobody correctly answered my weekly weather quiz question. Here it is for the last time. What is a “sundog”? A sun dog or sundog, scientific name parhelion (plural parhelia) from Greek (parlion), meaning “beside the sun”; from (para), meaning “beside”, and (helios), meaning “sun”, also called a mock sun[1] or a phantom sun,[2] is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun.[3] Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but they are not always obvious or bright. Sundogs are best seen and are most conspicuous when the sun is low. I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you Monday. Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count.

_______________

Advisories: NONE AT THIS TIME.

________________

A upper level low pressure trough (“U” shape on the yellow line) is moving eastward away from the Pacific Northwest.  A high pressure ridge (“Arch” shape on the yellow line ) over Western Canada) will give us drier weather for the rest of the Easter weekend. The serious chance of rain should hold off until late Sunday night. Another trough of low pressure will will head our way pushing the next frontal system to approach the coast by early Tuesday.

_________________

Here are your detailed forecasts.**

________________

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy tonight and Easter Sunday, a slight (20%) chance of showers Sunday night (under 0.10 in. of rain possible) and Monday AM, mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Monday afternoon and evening (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers late Monday night (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), a mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of showers Tuesday AM, mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of  showers in the afternoon, then mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Tuesday night lows 39-42 highs 62-60. Mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of showers Wednesday, a good (50%) chance of rain Wednesday night, rain likely (60%) Thursday, mostly cloudy with a good (50%) chance of showers Thursday night and Friday, then a (40%) chance of showers Friday night, then a (30%) chance of showers Saturday highs 56-60 lows near 42. (seasonal averages high 59 low 39)

_______________

Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg:  Cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of  showers tonight and Easter Sunday (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), a (30%) chance of rain Sunday night, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Monday ( 0.10 in. of rain possible), a (40%) chance of showers Monday night (0.10 in. of rain possible), a good (50%) chance of AM showers, showers likely (60%) Tuesday afternoon, then rain likely (60%) Tuesday night lows 42-47 cooling to 44 Tuesday night highs 66-60. Cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Wednesday, then mostly cloudy with rain likely (60%) Wednesday night through Friday, a (40%) chance of showers Friday night, then partly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Saturday highs 58-63 lows near 43. (seasonal averages high 60 low 41)

________________

Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend: Cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers this evening, showers likely (60%) late tonight (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), with a good (50%) chance of showers Easter Sunday AM, showers likely (60%) in the afternoon (0.10 in. of rain possible), coastal showers Sunday night, a good (50%) chance of evening showers inland with showers late Sunday night (0.20 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with showers likely (60%) Monday (0.20 in. of rain possible), coastal showers Monday night, evening showers likely (60%) inland, a good (50%) chance of showers late Monday night (0.30 in. of rain), showers likely (60% )Tuesday, then rain likely (60%) Tuesday night lows 40-48 cooling to 45 Tuesday night highs near 56. Cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Wednesday, rain likely (60%) Wednesday night through Thursday night, showers likely (60%) Friday, a good (50%) chance of showers Friday night, then mostly cloudy with a slight (60%) chance of showers Saturday highs 55-50 warming to 56 Saturday lows 43-40. (seasonal averages high 54 low 42).

_________________

Forecast for the Cascades of Lane County: Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers tonight and Easter Sunday through Monday night, a mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of  showers Tuesday AM, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of afternoon showers, then mostly cloudy with rain likely (60%) Tuesday night snow level 5,500 ft. tonight and Sunday, 6,500 ft., 7,000 ft. Sunday night, 6,000 ft. Monday, 7,000 ft. Monday night, 6,500 ft. Tuesday, then 5,500 ft. Tuesday night lows 26-35 highs 52-55 cooling to near 50 Tuesday. Mostly cloudy with rain and snow showers likely (60%) Wednesday, rain and snow likely (60%) Wednesday through Thursday, rain and snow  showers likely (60%) Thursday night and Friday, a good (50%) chance of rain and snow showers Friday night, then a mix of clouds and sun with a (40%) chance of rain and snow showers Saturday snow level 4,500 ft Wednesday, 4,000 ft. Wednesday night, 4,500 ft. Thursday, then 5,000 ft. Thursday night through Saturday highs 52-45 lows near 32.

________________

**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

________________

Get your local Eugene-Springfield news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com.

________________

 

For more click to continue on to http://timchueyweather4u.com/blog