Showers and possible thunderstorms today with decreasing chances of showers Friday.

______________

 

Check out my latest Eugene Daily News Weather Or Not Column I Wonder How The Dam Thing Works and my new Feature Story How Medical Science Changed My Life.

________________

We have a winner!

________________

 

Congratulations to Josh Foster for being the first person to post the correct answer my new weekly weather quiz question. Here is the question again. Please define “a warm occlusion” and no it has nothing to do with a dental overbite. Here is Josh’s correct answer: In a warm occlusion, the air mass overtaking the warm front is not as cool as the cold air ahead of the warm front, and rides over the colder air mass while lifting the warm air. There are both warm and cold occluded fronts. Josh wins a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to his needs. I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question starting next Monday. Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.

________________

 

Advisories:

There is a Blue-Green Algae warning that continues for Dexter Reservoir and Dorena Reservoir, and now Fern Ridge Reservoir has been added to the list. Water monitoring has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae that can produce toxins, state public health officials said. The algae levels are likely associated with dangerous cyanotoxin concentrations in the water that can be harmful to humans and animals. Swallowing or inhaling water droplets, as well as skin contact with water, should be avoided according to the authorities.

________________

 

An upper level low (“U” shape with blue arrows) along the coast will continue to send disturbances our way including this frontal system that is moving into the Pacific Northwest. A previous front had already fallen apart before penetrating the coast. We will warm up a bit then cool back down again as yet another frontal system will move into Oregon over the Labor Day Holiday weekend. As usual, the weather will be taking a turn for the cooler by the holiday itself. It seems that “Mother Nature” knows when a holiday is coming so she can chill things down just like she did for the weekend that followed the Independence Day Holiday.

________________

 

The Grass Pollen Count is listed as Absent at 0 and Tree pollen is Low at 2 as of 8/27/13 according to Oregon Allergy Associates.

________________

 

Saturday College Football Forecast:

Ducks vs Nicholls State: Kickoff at 1 PM at Autzen Stadium- A mix of clouds and sun 78 degrees warming to 88 during the game.

Beavers vs Eastern Washington: Kickoff at 3 PM at Reser Stadium- A mix of clouds and sun 85 degrees warming to 89 then cooling toward the end of the game.

 

________________

 

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis:

  • Mostly cloudy with showers likely (70%) and a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms today (0.25 in. of rain possible, more in storms) and this evening, a good (50%) chance of showers tonight (under 0.10 in. if rain possible).
  • A mix of clouds and sun Friday AM with a slight (20%) chance of showers, partly cloudy in the afternoon, patchy fog late Friday night and Saturday AM, just mostly sunny in the afternoon, then partly cloudy late Saturday night.
  • highs 80-88 lows 60-55.
  • Partly cloudy Sunday AM, mostly sunny in the afternoon, partly cloudy Sunday night.
  • A mix of clouds and sun with a (30%) chance of showers Monday (Labor Day), mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Monday night.
  • A mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of showers Tuesday, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Tuesday night, then a mix of clouds and sun Wednesday.
  • highs 83-78 lows 56-53. (seasonal averages high 81 low 50)

________________

Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg:

  • Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain this AM, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers this afternoon (under 0.10 in. if rain possible), partly cloudy in the evening and mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers late tonight.
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Friday AM, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers in the afternoon, partly cloudy in the evening, then just mostly cloudy late Friday night through Saturday night.
  • highs 83-87 lows 62-59.
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Sunday and Sunday night.
  • Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Monday (Labor Day), a slight (20%) chance of showers late Monday night through Tuesday evening, then partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Tuesday night and Wednesday.
  • highs 84-80 warming to 83 Wednesday lows near 58. (seasonal averages high 83 low 54)

 

_________________

 

Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:

  • Mostly cloudy with coastal AM rain likely (60%) and afternoon showers while a (40%) chance of inland AM rain and a (30%) chance  of showers this afternoon (under 0.10 in. of rain possble), mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers late tonight (under 0.10 in. if rain possible).
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of coastal showers while a slight (20%) chance of showers inland Friday, mostly cloudy with patchy coastal fog Friday night.
  • Patchy AM fog, mostly cloudy Saturday, then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers late Saturday night
  • highs near 70 lows 58-55.
  • Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Sunday and Sunday night.
  • Mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of showers Monday (Labor Day), then a slight (20%) chance of showers Monday night through Wednesday.
  • highs near 67 lows near 55. (seasonal averages high 66 low 52)

 

________________

 

Forecast for the Cascades of Lane County:

  • Mostly cloudy with showers likely (60%) and a slight (20%) chance of thunderstorms today (0.10 in. of rain possible, more in storms) and this evening, mostly cloudy  with a slight (20%) chance of showers tonight.
  • A mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of showers Friday AM, then just partly cloudy Friday afternoon through Saturday night.
  • snow level above 8,000 ft. tonight through Friday AM, free air freezing level 15,000 ft. Friday night through Saturday night.
  • highs 67-75 lows 46-48.
  • Mostly sunny Sunday AM, partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday afternoon, partly cloudy in the evening and mostly cloudy late at night with a slight (20%) chance of showers.
  • Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Monday (Labor Day), a (30%) chance of showers at night, a mix of clouds and sun with a slight (20%) chance of showers Tuesday, mostly cloudy at night, then a mix of clouds and sun Wednesday.
  • free air freezing level 15,000 ft. Sunday AM, snow level above 8,000 ft. Sunday afternoon through Tuesday, then free air freezing level 12,000 ft. Tuesday night and Wednesday.
  • highs 74-66 lows 47-45.

________________

 

**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

 

________________

 

Get your local Eugene-Springfield and Lane County news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com.

 

________________

Previous Story

High School Football Preview: Mehl, Churchill Lancers Accept 2013 Challenge

Next Story

#2 – Tyree Robinson

Latest from Headline Feed