Check out my latest Eugene Daily News Weather Or Not Column Wow! That Sounds Like It Ought To Be A Record. Oh, It Is.
No winner this week so here is my weekly weather quiz question for the last time. What is “rime ice?” Here is the correct answer. Rime Ice is an opaque coating of tiny, white, granular ice particles caused by the rapid freezing of supercooled water droplets on impact with an object. See also clear ice. It is particularly striking on a chain link fence. I’ll have a new weekly weather quiz question for you starting Monday. Please remember to post your answer as a comment by clicking on “no comments /comments” in the upper right hand portion of this page under the caption, then add your comment. The first person to post the correct answer will win a week of free personalized weather forecasts tailored to your needs. The answer has to be a comment to win. An email answer will not count. Good luck.
- A FREEZE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM UNTIL 8 AM TODAY FOR EASTERN CURRY COUNTY, JOSEPHINE COUNTY, AND JAKSON COUNTY.
A Blue-Green Algae warning continues for Tenmile Lakes in Coos County, Fern Ridge Reservoir, Lost Creek Lake, and at Devils Lake. Water monitoring has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae that can produce toxins, state public health officials said. The algae levels are likely associated with dangerous cyanotoxin concentrations in the water that can be harmful to humans and animals. Swallowing or inhaling water droplets, as well as skin contact with water, should be avoided according to the authorities.
An upper level high pressure ridge (Shaded “Arch” shape) will be strengthening over Oregon cutting off the moisture feed and drying us out while spreading sunshine over the Pacific Northwest for the next 7 days. Watch for the Full Hunter’s Moon today.
Your Saturday College Football Forecasts:
The Ducks vs Washington State at Autzen Stadium: Kickoff 7 PM- Mostly clear, temperature near 53 cooling down into the mid 40s by the end of the game.
The Beavers vs California at California Memorial Stadium, Berkeley: Kickoff 7:30 PM- Clear with temperature near 66 cooling into the 50s by the end of the game.
Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis:
- Clear with areas of fog and low clouds this AM, sunny this afternoon, clear in the evening, clear with patchy fog late tonight,
- Mostly cloudy with areas of AM fog, sunny Sunday afternoon, clear in the evening partly cloudy with areas of fog late Sunday night,
- Mostly cloudy Monday AM with areas of fog, mostly sunny in the afternoon, then mostly clear with patchy fog late Monday night.
- highs 63-65 lows 35-38.
- Patchy fog Tuesday AM, mostly sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear with patchy fog late Tuesday night and Wednesday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon, mostly clear at night,
- Partly cloudy Thursday and Thursday night,
- Then mostly sunny Friday.
- highs near 63 lows near 42 (seasonal averages high 63 low 41)
Forecast for the Umpqua Basin including Roseburg:
- Areas of AM fog, sunny today through Monday, clear at night.
- highs near 70-75 lows near 42.
- Sunny Tuesday, mostly clear at night,
- Mostly sunny Wednesday through Friday with mostly clear nights.
- highs 74-69 lows near 45. (seasonal averages high 65 low 44)
Forecast for the South Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:
- Partly cloudy with areas of AM fog, sunny this afternoon, clear tonight,
- Cloudy with areas of fog Sunday AM, sunny in the afternoon, clear Sunday night,
- Mostly cloudy with patchy AM fog Monday, sunny in the afternoon, then clear Monday night.
- highs 64-67 lows near 44.
- Partly cloudy with areas of fog Tuesday AM, sunny in the afternoon, mostly clear at night,
- Partly cloudy with patchy AM fog, sunny Wednesday afternoon, mostly clear at night,
- Mostly sunny Thursday, mostly clear Thursday night,
- Then partly cloudy Friday.
- highs near 65 lows near 45. (seasonal averages high 61 low 46)
Forecast for the Cascades of Lane County:
- Sunny today and Sunday with clear skies at night,
- Mostly sunny Monday, then mostly clear Monday night.
- free air freezing level 13,000 ft. tonight through Sunday night, then 14,000 ft. Monday and Monday night.
- highs near 60 lows 30-32.
- Mostly sunny Tuesday, mostly clear at night,
- Sunny Wednesday, mostly clear at night,
- Mostly sunny Thursday and Friday, with partly cloudy skies Thursday night.
- free air freezing level 13,000 ft. Tuesday and Tuesday night, 12,000 ft. Wednesday and Wednesday night, 11,000 ft. Thursday, then 12,000 ft. Thursday night and Friday.
- highs 62-57 lows 38-35.
**Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.
Get your local Eugene-Springfield and Lane County news on-line at Eugene Daily News.com.