EUGENE, Ore. – The Oakland Athletics selected Oregon pitcher Hunter Breault in the 2021 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft on Tuesday.
The A’s picked Breault in the 20th round, the 608th overall pick. The selection made him the third Oregon pitcher drafted in the 2021 draft, joining Robert Ahlstrom and Cullen Kafka, and the fourth Ducks’ player overall. Outfielder Aaron Zavala was the second pick in the second round.
Breault is the fifth Oregon player selected by Oakland, and the first since the 2013 draft. Ryon Healy was the Athletics’ third-round pick that season, while Zack Thornton went to the A’s in the 23rd round in 2010 and Drew Gagnier was Oakland’s 14th round pick in 2009. Tom Dodd was picked by the A’s twice, going in the second round in the 1979 draft and the first round in the 1980 January Secondary Draft.
2021 Oregon Draft Picks
Aaron Zavala – Round 2 (Pick 38) – Texas Rangers
Robert Ahlstrom – Round 7 (Pick 213) – New York Yankees
Cullen Kafka – Round 9 (Pick 260) – Colorado Rockies
Hunter Breault – Round 20 (Pick 608) – Oakland Athletics
Oregon Draft Notes
- The Ducks had four players drafted in the top 20 rounds of the MLB Draft for only the fifth time ever (2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2021)
- The Ducks had three pitchers drafted in the top 20 rounds of the draft for the fifth time (2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2021)
- Oregon’s four selections in the top 20 rounds tied (2016) for the fourth most in a draft behind the 2011 draft class (6), the 2013 draft class (5) and the 2015 draft class
- Excluding the five-round 2020 draft, Oregon has had a player drafted in every draft since baseball returned in 2009
- Excluding the 2020 draft, Oregon has had a pitcher drafted in every draft since 2009
- Excluding the 2020 draft, Oregon has had a position player drafted in every draft since 2009
- Excluding the 2020 draft, Oregon has had multiple pitchers drafted in all 11 drafts since 2009
Hunter Breault, JR, RHP (Oakland Athletics, 20th Round, 608th Overall Pick)
- Fifth Oregon player picked by the A’s all time, and the fourth in the modern era
- Third Oregon pitcher picked by the A’s (Thornton, Gagnier)
- Just the second Duck ever picked in the 20th round (Parker Kelly – 2021)
- Became the 39th highest Duck picked in the modern era
- 57th Duck drafted since 2009
- 36th Ducks’ pitcher drafted since 2009