EUGENE, Ore. – The College Sports Information Directors of America named Aaron Zavala to the 2020-21 CoSIDA Academic All-America® Baseball First Team on Thursday. Zavala is the first Duck in Oregon baseball program history to earn Academic All-America recognition.
The Ducks’ right fielder, who boasts a 3.41 GPA, also claimed All-America honors on the field from six different organizations following the season. Five – the ABCA, Baseball America, D1Baseball, the NBCWA and Perfect Game – listed Zavala as a first-team All-America pick, while Collegiate Baseball named him to its second team.
Zavala, who was also been named the Pac-12 Conference and NCBWA District 9 Player of the Year, ended the season batting .392 with nine home runs, 38 RBI and 64 runs scored, while boasting a .525 on-base percentage and a .626 slugging percentage. He led the Ducks in batting average, runs, hits (78), slugging percentage, walks (50) and stolen bases (11). He set school records for on-base percentage, runs scored and walks.
Nationally after the regular season ended, the Keizer, Ore., native ranked second in the nation in OBP (.001 behind the national leader), seventh in base on balls, ninth in base on balls per game (0.96) and 18th in batting average. He led the Pac-12 Conference in on-base percentage, walks and base on balls per game, while ranking second in batting average, sixth in hits per game and seventh in slugging percentage and hits.
He ended the season being named to the Eugene Regional All-Tournament Team batting .333 (6-for-18) with two home runs, four RBI and six runs scored.
The Texas Rangers selected Zavala in the second round of the 2021 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft on July 12. He became the highest MLB Draft pick (No. 38 overall) of an Oregon position player in the modern era.
Zavala 2021 Honors and Awards
- CoSIDA Academic All-America® First Team
- CoSIDA Academic All-District 8 Team
- MLB Draft Second Round Pick (No. 38 overall selection)
- Highest MLB Draft pick of an Oregon position player in the modern era
- Third-highest MLB Draft pick from Oregon during that time
- D1Baseball All-America First-Team All-America
- ABCA First-Team All-America
- Perfect Game First-Team All-America
- Baseball America First-Team All-America
- NCBWA First-Team All-America
- Collegiate Baseball Second-Team All-America
- NCBWA District 9 Player of the Year
- ABCA Division I First-Team West Region
- Golden Spikes Award Semifinalist
- Dick Howser Trophy Semifinalist
- Pac-12 Conference Player of the Year
- First-Team All-Pac-12 Conference