Dutch Bros

Dutch Bros. raises $25,744 for local man

Dutch Bros and its customers raised $25,744 May 29 for Jonathan Kollaer, a local man battling leukemia. Dutch Bros Albany donated all proceeds from the day to help Kollaer and his family with medical needs.

Dutch Bros. Raises Money for MDA

Drink One for DaneEUGENE, Ore. — You can have that cup of coffee you always get and give back to your community Friday.

Dutch Bros. stands are donating their proceeds to the Muscular Dystrophy Association Friday for Drink One for Dane Day.

When the company’s co-founder, Dane Boersma, died in 2009 of Lou Gehrig’s Disease, it wanted to find a way to honor his memory.

Last year, they raised $271,000 in one day. The MDA says with no cure for the disease, they truly appreciate the money.

“MDA is the major supporter for raising funds for research. So to have this kind of a day, where all of the proceeds are going directly to ALS research is critical to our cause, our mission,” said Tammy Barry, MDA Executive Director.

This year’s goal is $300,000, and there’s still time to help. The fundraiser ends at midnight.

Dutch Bros. Releases New Coffee Energy Drink

Dutch Bros. now offers its customers a pick-me-up in two forms — coffee and an energy drink.

The company recently announced the release of its Blue Rebel Energy Drink.

Cars, bikes and people all lined up at the Dutch Bros. on Coburg Road Monday for a free taste.

While coffee is what Dutch Bros. is known for, most customers weren’t too shocked by the new addition.

“I’ve seen them grow a lot in the last year or two so I’m not really too surprised that they came out with their own thing, but I’m looking forward to what they have coming next,” said customer Shawn Tompkins.

Customers were offered cans, cases and even personal mixes with flavored syrups like strawberry, passion fruit and lime.

The Coburg Road Dutch Bros. will give out free samples until 11 p.m. Monday, April 2.

Coffee Stand Giving Away Coffee for Food Donations

EUGENE, Ore. — If your morning commute includes a stop at a Dutch Bros. stand, don’t forget your canned food.

 

Dutch Bros. Coffee is celebrating Dutch Luv Day on this Valentine’s Day.

 

It is hosting food drives at each of its locations on Feb. 14.

 

You can get a 16 oz. drink if you drop off three canned goods at any of the Dutch Bros. locations.

 

The food will be donated to FOOD for Lane County.

January 19 – Morning Headlines

//

Headlines

WillHi students are preparing for this years Electrathon.
  • Eugene School Board votes to accept out-of-district students
    The Eugene School Board voted unanimously tonight to accept up to 1,725 students from outside the district in the 2012-13 school year, in response to a controversial new statewide law that has the potential to break down traditional school district bou…
  • Lane County nurses won’t strike Monday 

    Lane County nurses will not move forward with plans to strike on Monday, following a day of talks today with county management over a new three-year nurses’ contract, officials said Wednesday. The nurses’ union and county management will meet again…
  • Home and Garden Experts Prepare for Local Expo 

    The 7th Annual Good Earth Home, Garden and Living Show is back in town this weekend. The show boasts being America’s first sustainable home and garden show in the nation. This year there are more than 250 exhibits and more than 50 sem…
  • No parade for Rose Bowl victors 

    Despite holding a “parade of champions” last year for the Oregon football team and other local success stories, the athletic department decided against hosting a parade again this year. Instead, the department has opted for a halftime prese…
  • Agency spends $11,100 to buy advertising space on Nick Symmonds’ shoulder 

    The price of a pound of flesh? For Hanson Dodge Creative, an advertising agency based in Milwaukee, Wis., the answer today is $11,100. That’s the amount the firm agreed to pay Nick Symmonds, the 2008 Olympian track star from Springfield who auctioned…

Tim Chuey Weather:

If you wished for the snow to go away your wish came true, but be careful what you wish for. Now we are being pelted with heavy rain.

High: 52
Low: 40
Rain: 1 inch+

An upper level low pressure trough (“U” shape on yellow line) will be moving through and a  surface low and frontal system pushes into Oregon (later than expected) for another chance for rain heavy at times, and gusty winds. A very wet airflow ahead of and behind another frontal system (position shown is Saturday) will continue the heavy rain flowing through Oregon.

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy today with rain , heavy at times this AM, rain this afternoon (1 in. of rain possible) and tonight (0.25 in. of rain possible), then rain (0.15 in. of rain possible) Friday and rain Friday night through Saturday night highs 46-52 cooling to 46 Saturday lows 40-42 cooling to near 34 Saturday night. Mostly cloudy with rain Sunday through Wednesday highs 45-52 lows 36-40. (seasonal averages high 48 low 34)

Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com

Downtown Eugene coffee stand robbed

A man robbed a Dutch Bros. coffee kiosk in downtown Eugene on Tuesday night, police said. The robber used a handgun to menace a female barista, and demanded her to empty money from all of the kiosk’s cash registers, police said. Witnesses said the robber left the area on foot, …


December 29 – Morning Headlines

//
Police are searching for Makai Lemke, wanted on a charge of possession and delivery of methamphetamine. Suspect is described as a white male, 5'6" tall and weighs about 165 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. Makai fled a traffic stop in the Coburg Rd. area.

Headlines

  • UO player saves Duck fan with Heimlich maneuver
    Oregon’s beefiest football player saved the Beef Bowl — and a Duck fan’s life. Mark Asper, the Ducks’ 6-foot-7, 325-pound senior offensive lineman, performed the Heimlich maneuver to save a man who was choking on the s…

Tim Chuey Weather:

Your Thursday will be very wet and it doesn’t look like the rain will go away anytime soon. A bit of a break for New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day, but it’s back to wetter Sunday night into next week.

High: 55
Low: 36
Rain: 2″ possible

The jet stream has positioned itself to send a strong fetch of moisture to the Pacific Northwest. This frontal system spreads even more rain over Oregon. The rain chance diminishes Saturday and Sunday. Another frontal system will move in to start off the New Year with even more rain. Mt. Ashland is open for the season. Hoodoo is closed for December 29-30, but will be open Saturday December 31st and Sunday January 1st. Still not enough snow yet for Willamette Pass to open for skiing. Please check their web sites for details and updates.

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy with  a good (50%) chance of showers this AM, rain (0.50 in. of rain possible) this afternoon, rain (1 in. of rain possible) tonight, heavy at times late at night, AM rain, showers (0.50 in. of rain possible) Friday afternoon (small hail possible), showers likely (60%) and colder Friday night, a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday AM, a mix of clouds and sun in the afternoon, then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday night highs 54-44 lows 46-36. Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Sunday (New Year’s Day), cloudy with a (40%) chance of showers Sunday night, a good (50%) chance of rain Monday, a (40%) chance of rain Monday night, a slight (20%) chance of rain Tuesday, a (40%) chance of rain Tuesday night, then cloudy with a good (50%) chance of rain Wednesday  highs 48-46 lows 35-39. (seasonal averages high 45 low 33)

Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com

December 13 – Morning Headlines

///
City Council postpones Occupy campsite vote till Wednesday

Headlines

  • City Council postpones Occupy vote to Wednesday
    The Eugene City Council voted Monday evening to postpone the decision on whether to allow the Occupy Eugene movement to stay in Washington Jefferson Park past its Dec. 15 deadline, opting to revisit the issue this Wednesday, Dec. 14. Dozens of proteste…
  • Images show suspect in coffee stand robbery
    Police released photos Monday of a suspect who robbed a drive-up coffee stand last week.
  • City manager proposes way to dismantle Occupy Eugene camp
    The City of Eugene’s top manager has suggested the City Council take a number of steps to move the Occupy Eugene camp out of a city park and restore the park as soon as possible after a Dec. 15 deadline passes.
  • Governor appoints new head of business services
    Gov. Kitzhaber has appointed Patrick Allen director of the Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services, pending Senate confirmation. Allen has been with the department since 2003, including as acting administrator of the Building Codes Division…
  • Bethel Students Design Kilcullen Memorial Garden
    The highway signs honoring Officer Chris Kilcullen are up and now another effort is under way to honor the fallen Eugene police officer. On Monday, leadership students at Willamette High School worked on the design of the Chris Kilcullen Memorial …
  • Oregon men’s basketball: Ducks hang on to beat Portland State, 79-70
    Oregon kept itself unbeaten this season at Matthew Knight Arena by holding off Portland State for a 79-70 victory on Monday night. The Ducks (6-2) have now won all five of their home games, though the biggest test to date comes Sunday when Virginia (8-…

Tim Chuey Weather:

Still waiting to get rid of the freezing fog, but the wait is almost over. Your Tuesday morning will be a frosty one again.

High: 43
Low: 28
Rain: fog

high pressure ridge (“Arch” shape on the jet stream) has continued the fog and freezing fog to start the workweek. An upper air trough of low pressure (“U” shape on the jet stream) will return the clouds and chances for rain (which also means a bit warmer at night) by Wednesday night as a new frontal system moves in.

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy with areas of fog and freezing fog this AM, mostly cloudy with patchy lingering fog this afternoon, patchy evening fog, mostly cloudy with areas of fog late tonight and Wednesday AM, mostly cloudy with some patchy lingering fog in the afternoon, becoming cloudy with a good (50%) chance of evening rain, rain likely (60%) Wednesday night, cloudy Thursday AM and a mix of clouds and sun in the afternoon with a good (50%) chance of showers, then partly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Thursday night highs 36-43 lows 28-32. Partly cloudy with areas of fog Friday and Friday night, a mix of clouds and sun with areas of fog and a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday, a (30%) chance of rain Saturday night through Sunday night, then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Monday highs 40-46 lows 30-35. (seasonal averages high 45 low 34)

Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com

December 9 – Morning Headlines

///
Yes, the Dexter Lake Club is re-opening.

Headlines

  • Police dog helps officers track down Springfield robbery suspect
    A Springfield man was arrested this afternoon, shortly after a deli was robbed by a knife-wielding intruder. A police dog helped officers track down Rusty Duwayne Langston, 29, on Bonnie Lane — not far from CJ’s Deli at 2152 Marcola…
  • DNA evidence links woman to Eugene bank robbery
    A Portland woman is being held in the Lane County Jail after authorities used DNA evidence to link her to an August bank robbery in Eugene. Lorinda Marie Goodin appeared today in U.S. District Court in Eugene on a charge of armed bank robbery in connec…
  • Man pleads guilty to producing pornography
    A 25-year-old Springfield man pleaded guilty to eight child pornography charges, including one count of producing such material that alone carries a potential sentence of up to 15 years in prison. Terrance Anthony Sunseri entered the pleas in Eug…
  • Bean jumps into mayor’s race
    Denise Bean, owner of a Springfield tax preparation service, says she’ll run for Springfield mayor. Current Mayor Christine Lundberg was appointed by the Springfield City Council to fill the spot, after longtime Mayor Sid Leiken in late 2010 won a se…
  • Port shutdown pledged by Occupy protesters despite union rejection
    Occupy Wall Street protesters want to shut down ports up and down the West Coast on Monday to gum up the engines of global commerce.
  • Man robs Dutch Bros. stand in Springfield
    A man robbed a Dutch Bros. coffee stand in Springfield’s Thurston area on Wednesday evening, police said. The robbery was reported at 5:45 p.m. at a kiosk at 5850 Main St. Police said the robber approached the stand’s drive-up windo…
  • Homeless say warming centers safer than Occupy camp
    Whether just passing through or staying in Eugene for the long haul, several homeless people using the Egan Warming Center system Thursday night said they were glad to have the service during frigid weather, and vastly prefer the option to staying at t…
  • Famous Roadhouse from “Animal House” to reopen
    Planning a toga party anytime soon? The Dexter Lake Club, which was featured in the 1978 classic “Animal House”, is reopening next week.

Tim Chuey Weather:

Another cold start for your Friday with fog and freezing fog, but we’ll warm up a bit and see a chance of rain for the weekend.

High: 45
Low: 28
Rain: fog

A high pressure ridge (“Arch” shape on the jet stream) is keeping us cold with some possible sunshine, at least outside the Southern Willamette valley as long as the fog clears. That also means that our air quality is still suffering with the sinking air of high pressure holding on to the pollutants at the surface. The ridge will slide over allowing more clouds, warmer temperatures, and maybe even a chance of precipitation returning over the weekend as a cold front moves in from the northwest. The full ” Cold” moon will occur Saturday at 6:36 AM and there will be a total eclipse of the moon just before dawn, but the clouds will probably cover the sky even if it doesn’t rain.

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Cloudy areas of fog and freezing fog this AM, patchy lingering fog in the afternoon and evening, mostly cloudy with areas of fog and freezing fog late tonight and Saturday AM, patchy fog in the afternoon, mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of showers Saturday night and Sunday, then mostly cloudy with areas of fog and patchy freezing fog late Sunday night highs 38-45 lows 28-32. Areas of fog and patchy freezing fog Monday AM, mostly cloudy Monday afternoon and Monday night, mostly cloudy with a (30%) chance of rain Tuesday and Tuesday night, then mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Wednesday through Thursday highs near 45 lows 32-36 cooling to near 32 Wednesday night. (seasonal averages high 46 low 34)

Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com

May 6 – Morning Headlines

//

The local headlines as of this morning:

Tim Chuey: Mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain this afternoon, a good (50%) chance of rain this evening, rain likely (60%) late tonight (0.10 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with showers likely (60%) Saturday (0.10 in. of rain possible) through Sunday night highs 60-55 lows 44-40.

UO eyes campus upgrade
The University of Oregon could soon launch a huge overhaul of student recreation and activities facilities if it can win quick state approval of a $160.5 million plan to expand two key buildings.

Three demonstrators arrested at Seneca plant
Lane County sheriff’s deputies arrested three protesters Thursday morning during a demonstration outside the new Seneca Sustainable Energy wood-burning power plant off Highway 99.

Teachers balk at district offer
The offer keeps getting a tad better, but for the Eugene Education Association it’s still not good enough. Not even close.

NextStep Recycling launches community computer lab for low income residents
A new project from a technology focused Eugene non-profit is putting computer education and internet connections into the hands of low income Lane County residents with the hope of opening doors for kids, teens and adults.

Dutch Bros. Raise Money for Kilcullen Family
Dutch Bros. is stepping up to help Officer Kilcullen’s family. Springfield, Eugene and Junction City Dutch Bros. locations will donate all proceeds from sales Friday to benefit Officer Kilcullen’s wife and two children.

Local area Dutch Brothers locations