Lowell Dam

January 26 – Morning Headlines

//

Headlines

School lunch will never be the same...
The new nutrition standards will replace school lunch dishes like pizza sticks with salad.
  • Occupy Eugene costs for city top $130K
    The city of Eugene spent more than $13,000 to provide security for City Councilor George Poling, the subject of Occupy Eugene protests last month. Altogether, the city spent more than $130,000 on Occupy Eugene-related costs, much of it for the overtime…
  • Lowell dam trespasser sentenced
    A 21-year-old Eugene man will return to the scene of his crime — Lookout Point Dam — to perform community service after he admitted to trespassing on the federal property last year in a case that initially raised fears of domestic terrorism. As par…
  • Judge’s meeting decision targeted
    One year after a controversial court ruling found that Lane County Commissioners Rob Handy and Pete Sorenson violated Oregon’s public meetings law in 2009, a bill before the Legislature this February would change that law in a way that woul…
  • Oregon Research Institute breaks ground on new building
    The Oregon Research Institute broke ground in late December following an agreement between the University and the community to allow the construction of a new building between the Millrace and Willamette River. The new 80,000-square-foot building is pr…
  • Lane County unemployment rate falls
    Lane County’s unemployment rate fell to 9 percent in December, down from a revised 9.3 percent in November, and below the year-ago rate of 11 percent. The county’s unemployment rate remained above the statewide rate of 8.9 percent and the national …
  • USDA Issues New School Lunch Rules
    Fruits and vegetables are about to be a staple in your child’s school lunchroom.   The USDA issued new standards Wednesday for meal programs, which feed about 32 million students in public and private schools.   They will have to offer more …

Tim Chuey Weather:

Just one more day of wet weather today, then we’ll dry out and get some sunshine to end the workweek.

High: 48
Low: 26
Rain: Some Showers



An upper level low pressure trough (“U” shape on yellow line) moved through the Pacific Northwest and now the jet stream has set up a strong moisture fetch that has brought back some more heavy rain. Heavy snowfalls from the latest storm have renewed hope that the ski season is back and here to stay. One last frontal systemwill bring a chance of rain for your Thursday. High pressure will take over to bring us sunshine Friday and Saturday. Mt. Ashland is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays, otherwise open. Hoodoo is open (as usual closed Wednesdays). Willamette Pass is open Thursday through Sunday. Please check the ski resort web sites for the latest details and updates as the new storms could improve the snowpack for skiing.

Forecast for the Southern and lower Mid Willamette Valley including Eugene-Springfield and Albany-Corvallis: Mostly cloudy with rain (0.25 in. of rain possible) today, mostly cloudy and colder tonight, patchy fog and freezing late at night and Friday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon and Friday night, patchy fog and freezing fog late at night and Saturday AM, a mix of clouds and sun in the afternoon, then mostly cloudy with a slight (20%) chance of rain Saturday night highs 48-44 warming to 52 Saturday lows 26-33. Mostly cloudy with a (40%) chance of rain Sunday, rain likely (60%) Sunday night and Monday, a good (50%) chance of rain Monday night through Tuesday night, then mostly cloudy with rain likely (60%) Wednesday highs 53-48 lows 34-39. (seasonal averages high 49 low 35)

Because weather forecasting is a combination of science, intuition, and timing there can be no absolute guarantees that individual forecasts will be 100% accurate. Nature is in a constant state of flux and sudden unexpected weather events can happen.

Keep Current on the Weather: timchueyweather4u.com

May 13 – Evening Update

//

The local headline update for Friday, May 13:

Tim Chuey: Mostly cloudy tonight with a slight (20%) chance of showers late, mostly cloudy Saturday AM, partly cloudy in the afternoon with a (40%) chance of showers (under 0.10 in. of rain possible), mostly cloudy with showers likely (60%) Saturday night (0.25 in. of rain possible).

Army Corp offering 1K reward for man seen taking pictures at Lookout Point Dam
Have you seen, or do you know this man? He was seen taking photos at night up at Lookout Point Dam.

Stats show spike in UO crime
Crime is spiking on the University of Oregon campus — that’s according to a three month report issued by the Department of Public Safety. But officials say those numbers shouldn’t be taken out of context.

Thief steals lung cancer survivor’s bike
A Springfield lung cancer survivor falls victim to brazen thieves and it’s all caught on video. Finding the bike may help others survive cancer.

Oregon House passes property tax deferral bill
The Oregon House has unanimously passed a bill that could make it tougher to live in a million-dollar house and still get the state to cover your property taxes.

Meth-related deaths up 22 percent in Oregon
The Oregon medical examiner’s office reports methamphetamine-related deaths rose 22 percent last year to claim 106 lives.

Deaths from meth in Oregon up 22%