ron wyden

Two Protesters Arrested Marching in Traffic

Portland OR – On Saturday January 3, 2015, at approximately 1:00 p.m., East Precinct officers responded to the area of Southeast 82nd Avenue and Foster Road on the report that several protesters were marching northbound on 82nd Avenue in the street.

Officers contacted the group and instructed protesters to use the sidewalk and clear the roadway for vehicular traffic. Two protesters refused to go to the sidewalk and were arrested by police.

36-year-old Katharine Moore and 51-year-old Malcolm Chaddock were arrested for Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree.

Two drivers of vehicles associated with the protesters were given citations for failing to yield to emergency vehicles and other violations after they intentionally obstructed officers responding to the scene.

The protesters that used the sidewalk marched to Portland Community College Southeast Campus at Southeast 82nd Avenue and Division Street, where they interrupted an event with U.S. Senator Ron Wyden.

There were no further arrests after protesters left the campus at approximately 4:00 p.m.

As with all demonstrations and marches, the Police Bureau’s goal is to ensure a safe, secure and orderly event for community members and to minimize disruptions to traffic.

It should be clear that “free speech events” do not require a permit; but, marches or demonstrations occurring in public streets that restrict movement of other community members do require a permit issued by the City of Portland to allow for the safety of all.

The post Two Protesters Arrested Marching in Traffic appeared first on Lane County Mugshots.

Senator Wyden Delivers Food Boxes

Food BoxesEUGENE, Ore. — Senator Ron Wyden is helping deliver food to Eugene families for the holidays.

He was joined by University of Oregon’s “O Heroes” athlete volunteers.

They delivered food boxes to families at the Stellar Apartments in west Eugene.

Senator Wyden says in a time when giving is celebrated, it shouldn’t just be for those who can afford it.

He wants all families to be able to celebrate and says he’s honored to be able to help.

“This to me, what I’ve been honored to be a part of today, is what public service oughta be about, helping out in communities,” said Sen. Wyden.

St. Vincent de Paul officials say they give away nearly 3,500 food boxes every year.

Senator Wyden Visits Growler Business

GROWLERSEUGENE, Ore. — Two proposed rules that would have affected the beer and wine industry in Oregon have been knocked down.

On Thursday, Senator Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) visited the Tap and Growler in Eugene to talk about his role in defeating two federal agencies from making these changes.

One was a rule that would basically overturn Oregon’s use of wine growlers.

The other was the FDA’s threat to spent grain and the by-product exchange between breweries and farmers. Wyden says these federal agencies didn’t realize the dramatic impact it would have on Oregon businesses.

“The real problem is that they weren’t going out and talking with establishments like this. They weren’t talking to the businesses that make these growlers,” Wyden said.

Wyden also says these bans would have affected thousands of jobs.

Homeland Security shuts down Occupy Eugene outpost

Officers from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security showed up this evening at the Occupy Eugene outpost at the Federal Building at East Seventh Avenue and Pearl Street.

Officers from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security showed up this evening at the Occupy Eugene outpost at the Federal Building at East Seventh Avenue and Pearl Street. Putting a perimeter around the area with yellow tape marked “Police Line — Do Not Cross,” officers ordered protestors to leave the space. When one protestor refused to vacate the premises, Homeland Security officers prepared to make an arrest.

In May this year, the federal General Services Administration granted Occupy Eugene a 60-day permit to set up a 24-hour-a-day protest site on the plaza. That permit expired 10 days ago. When Occupy Eugene applied to extend their permit, they were told there would be a stipulation. Mary, one of the organizers of the outpost, says,

We were told they wouldn’t give us another permit unless we vacated the site at night time. We were only going to be permitted to be there from 7 am through 11 pm.  Our constitutional rights do not disappear when it is dark.”

When asked to leave this evening, all but one complied. A woman —
named “brave Beatrice” by the other protestors — refused to leave.

Mary said Occupy Eugene does not believe it needs to have a permit.

“GSA says it is necessary to have a permit to protest in front of this building. Why is it necessary? People have been here for years for all sorts of protests. They have never needed permits.”

Vicki, another protestor, said that Occupy Eugene has contacted both Oregon Representative Peter DeFazio and Oregon Senator Ron Wyden.

“We’re asking DeFazio and Wyden if this order is coming from the federal government and why. Why is the federal government shutting down local protests?”

The answer, according to the officials with the U.S. General Services Administration, is simple: Occupy Eugene no longer has permission to carry out a nonstop outpost at the federal building area. Both yesterday and today, GSA representatives went to the outpost to inform protesters they could no longer have nonstop demonstrations.

GSA official Chaun Benjamin said,

“I will ask Federal Protective Services to get involved for law enforcement activity,” if the protestors did not leave today by 3 pm.

A crowd gathered to watch Homeland Security officers rope off the area outside the federal building.

When asked to leave this evening, all but one complied. A woman — named “brave Beatrice” by the other protestors — refused to leave.

Officers talked privately to the woman, allegedly trying to convince her to leave the space peacefully. While some protestors shouted loudly at the officers from the other side of the yellow tape, others told them to be quiet—the officers would not make an arrest, they said, unless the crowd calmed down.

Mary says that the arrest needs to be made.

We’re looking to make a constitutional objection to the arrest. We need to take this local issue national and make our voice heard—that the federal government cannot dictate when and how people can protest their government.”

Occupy Eugene’s local attorney, Lauren Regan, has already said they plan to challenge the constitutionality of any arrests made today.

An officer for Homeland Security said the procedures were simple and matter-of-fact:

“The woman in question is failing to comply with lawful direction. It’s a Class C misdemeanor.”

Officers ended up arresting “Beatrice,” whose real name is Emily Semple. Semple is a 58-year-old Eugene resident.