July 18, 2023
Note: Weather is a constantly changing phenomenon and weather forecasting is a combination of science, experience, and intuition. The accuracy of any given forecast can chance due to unexpected changes in atmospheric conditions, so there are no guarantees the the actual weather will conform to the projected forecast.
- A RED FLAG WARNING IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM TODAY FOR EAST WIND WITH POOR OVERNIGHT RELATIVE HUMIDITY RECOVERY ABOVE 2,000 FT. FOR THE WESTERN SISKIYOU NATIONAL FOREST AND THE WESTERN ROGUE BASIN INCLUDING THE ILLINOIS VALLEY.
- AN AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 PM WEDNESDAY FOR CURRY COUNTY AND JOSEPHINE COUNTY.
- A RECREATIONAL USE HEALTH ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR GALESVILLE RESERVOIR IN DOUGLAS COUNTY DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF A CYANOBACTERIA BLOOM. PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID SWIMMING AND HIGH SPEED WATER ACTIVITIES, SUCH AS WATER SKIING OR POWER BOATING, IN AREAS OF THE RESERVOIR WHERE BLOOMS ARE, AS THE MAJOR ROUTE OF EXPOSURE IS INGESTION OF WATER. TOXINS ARE NOT ABSORBED THROUGH THE SKIN, HOWEVER, THOSE WITH SKIN SENSITIVITIES MAY GET A PUFFY RED RASH. THE OREGON HEALTH AUTHORITY ENCOURAGES PEOPLE TO VISIT THE GALESVILLE RESERVOIR AND ENJOY ACTIVITIES SUCH AS FISHING, CAMPING, HIKING, BILKING, PICNICKING, BIRD WATCHING, CANOEING, AND KAYAKING. BOATING IS SAFE AS LONG AS SPEEDS DO NOT CREATE EXCESSIVE WATER SPRAY.. SPRAYS COULD LEAD TO THE RISK OF INHALING CYANOTOXINS.
- A PERMANENT HEALTH ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTH UMPQUA RIVER BAR. POOLS IN THE BEDROCK ALONG THE RIVERS EDGE ARE KNOWN TO DEVELOP BLUE-GREEN ALGAE (CYANOBACTERIAL) BLOOMS THAT CAN BE HARMFUL TO PETS AND PEOPLE IF ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OCCURS. SIGNS HAVE BEEN POSTED ALONG SEVERAL ACCESS AREAS ALONG THE RIVER.
THE WEATHER PATTERN
- An Upper Level High Pressure Ridge (“Arch” shape) will continue the onshore airflow through the Pacific Northwest, then slow warming will take place. The graphics for days 1-3 show a weak disturbance (dashed line) moved through Monday helping to increase onshore airflow and cooling. The graphics for days 3-7 Friday through Tuesday show a cold front pushing through Oregon between Friday and next Saturday.
Forecast For The South Willamette Valley Including Eugene-Springfield:
- Sunny and a bit warmer today, clear tonight,
- Sunny and a bit warmer Wednesday, mostly clear at night,
- Mostly sunny and a bit cooler Thursday, then clear Thursday night.
- highs 88-92 cooling to 90 Thursday lows near 53.
- Sunny Friday, clear Friday night,
- Sunny and a bit cooler Saturday, clear at night,
- Mostly sunny Sunday, clear Sunday night,
- Then sunny Monday.
- highs 90-87 lows near 53. (seasonal averages high 85 low 52)
Forecast for the Umpqua Valley including Roseburg:
- Then sunny and a bit warmer today and Wednesday, clear both nights,
- Sunny and a bit warmer Wednesday, clear at night,
- Sunny Thursday, then clear Thursday night.
- highs 90-92 lows near 58.
- Sunny and a bit warmer Friday, clear Friday night,
- Sunny and a bit cooler Saturday, mostly clear at night,
- Sunny and a bit cooler Sunday, clear Sunday night,
- Then sunny and a bit warmer Monday.
- highs 94-90 warming to 92 Monday lows near 58 (seasonal averages high 87 low 58)
Forecast for the Oregon Coast including Coos Bay and North Bend:
- Sunny and a bit warmer today, partly cloudy this evening, mostly cloudy late tonight,
- Some AM clouds, sunny and a bit cooler Wednesday afternoon, mostly clear in the evening, mostly cloudy late at night,
- Partly cloudy Thursday and in the evening, then mostly cloudy late Thursday night.
- highs 73-70 warming to 72 Thursday lows near 55.
- Some AM clouds, sunny and a bit warmer Friday afternoon, partly cloudy in the evening, mostly cloudy late Friday night,
- Some AM clouds, sunny Saturday, mostly clear in the evening, partly cloudy late at night,
- Then mostly sunny Sunday and Monday, mostly clear Sunday night.
- highs near 73 lows 56-54. (seasonal averages high 66 low 54)
Forecast for the Northern Oregon Cascades including Willamette Pass:
- Sunny and a bit warmer today and Wednesday, clear both nights,
- Sunny and a bit cooler Thursday, then mostly clear Thursday night.
- free air freezing level 16,000 ft. today through Thursday, then 16,000 ft. Thursday night.
- highs 79-83 cooling to 80 Thursday.
- Sunny and a bit warmer Friday, mostly clear Friday night,
- Sunny and a bit cooler Saturday and Sunday, clear both nights,
- Then sunny Monday.
- free air freezing level 16,000 ft. Friday though Monday.
- highs 82-76 warming to 79 Monday lows 48-45.